Doesn't poetry save lives?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Conversations ~

We generally talk 
through the television:
we speak to it, 
it gives it's story,
and then we hear each other. 

So we have reflected drama
in all our conversations
though 
our tone may well be dead.

Every tv show has a resolution,
so does ours - 
reality as contrived as fiction,
until the next season's run.

Once, a long time back,
I asked him to sit in front of me,
to shut out every device -
book, music, television -
and look at me.
I talked,
waited for his response,
he squirmed,
uncomfortable in my gaze,
desperate for escape.

And then he looked away. 

Ever since,
we have never sat across the other,
we have never talked to each other. 
We have stayed together,
but forever looked the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment