Doesn't poetry save lives?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A skin away ~

I slept beside you,
a small distance 
between your skin 
and mine. 
And in that gap lay
everything which attracted 
and repulsed,
all the truths and lies 
of our lives.
Strange, 
how I hold my breath,
as I say this,
as if summer's secret 
was just being revealed,
a ragged paper,
a secret note.
And I wonder -
aren't the only truths
the silences 
between our words, 
the hurt hurled 
couched inside phrases,
the bruises we bag
beneath our souls. 
And I know, 
even if I bridge this gap
with my despairing hand,
the memories of 1000 scars
will find their way to blast 
my bridge over our river Kwai.
I know the combustion
which happens when 
skin meets skin,
but as combustible 
is the tragedy of stories 
left undone, 
their unwritten words mute,
for therein lie true stories 
which write their last lines
much before the end.
Each one of us find our own pain,
even as we hurtle towards an end 
where our tragedies are the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment